Sunday, June 8, 2008

Caldecott Award Winner "So You Want to be President?"


The 2001 Caldecott Award Winning book was So You Want to be President? by Judith St. George. This book is very informative and I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and learning about past Presidents. Even though this is a picture book, I think it can be enjoyed by all ages because it does provide useful, accurate information.

I do not consider myself a history buff in the least so I found most of the information in this book to be new to me. While I did know that James is the most common name for a President, I did not know that there were 6 of them! Nor did I know that two Presidents were orphans or that the white house has a bowling alley.

If my teacher had read this to me when I was in grade school, I would have really enjoyed it and I would have learned a few things. Some of my third grade students really liked this book last year and I was extremely happy that they were so interested in the topic of U.S. Presidents because I know that this information will only be a building block to future knowledge that will be very useful.

The illustrations in this book are especially captivating. I spent a lot of time looking at each picture to capture all of the detail and I loved trying to figure out who was pictured in each illustration. I have a feeling that adults might enjoy the pictures more than children because we are able to identify different cartoon-like drawings of Presidents, but even if you did not know who was pictured they are still eye-catching and interesting.


Images courtesy of http://images.google.com/.

No comments: